Saturday, September 27, 2008

2008 - The Summer Of Music

Well, the summer is officially over. And it seems this was a summer of music for me. I've never been to so many great concerts in one short time span. Part of it was due to having some disposible income. Another part of it was that there were so many great bands that came to Los Angeles this summer.

This summer, I saw:
The Dresden Dolls, The Police, Elvis Costello, Black Kids, Amanda Palmer of The Dresden Dolls, George Michael, Yaz, Janet Jackson, and Goldfrapp

There are also so many more I want to see in the coming months, including Stars, Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip, Sigur Ros, James, David Byrne, Duffy, Antony and the Johnsons, etc. There's just too many good acts and not enough time and money to see them all.

Music and film are inexoribly linked together. As a filmmaker and watcher, I find that film is an art form that is truly multidisciplinary. It brings together painting, music, writing, and several other art forms all into one experience for the audience. I think that's part of the reason why it holds such a fascination for me. It can truly transport the audience to another time, another world, or another dimension.

There are a lot of great music acts out there that are surpassing the traditional path of establishing an audience. With Youtube and Myspace and Facebook, a band can create a community of fans, without having to deal with the antiquated methods of the record industry. It's never been easier to discover new music. I have easily spent hours upon hours exploring the internet, watching videos and listening to new music. I rarely listen to the radio anymore. Who needs to when I have 30 gigbytes of music on my ipod?

One of these days, I'd love to explore my dual fascinations of music and film. Perhaps one day I'll make a music documentary or music video.

No comments: