Thursday, October 23, 2008

Coffee to your door

So the news can finally be announced! My short film Coffee is going to be released as part of the short film compilation First Out 3 from Alluvial Filmworks. The street date for the DVD is January 6th and should be available from most major retailers including Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Virgin Megastore, etc.

I'm pretty excited as this is a first for me. It's been a long and interesting journey that began with a short film script I wrote while in a screenwriting class at UCSB. Then back in 2003 after turning 30, I decided to get off my ass and finally start making short films. I had always wanted to make this short script into a film. After a year of editing and post-production, the short film made its premiere at the 2004 Austin Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. Then I spent another two years going to various film festivals.

At the time, the options for distribution on short films was severely limited. I had several offers from fly-by-night, start-up internet companies that wanted to take my film for free and put it up on the internet. I was always wary of these deals and waited for the right opportunity. Now I am glad I turned those offers down. So I guess the lesson is to take your time in evaluating offers, vet the company making the offer and don't sign with any company that you don't feel comfortable with.

Click here to pre-order the film on Amazon.com.

Now I guess it's time to get off my ass again and make another short film or two.

No comments: