Sunday, May 17, 2009

Coachella Wrap Up - Day 1

Okay. I know I am a month late in doing this. But I have been so busy following up from my trip to Hong Kong and Cannes that I haven't had much time to think.

Here's my Coachella wrap-up:

Day 1: Friday
Probably the busiest day for me.
After taking the short cut to the back parking lot and getting in after about 10-20 minutes, we went and picked up the locker key. Seriously, if you are going to Coachella, just go ahead and rent a locker. It makes for a much happier experience. And you are going to want a jacket at night because it can get chilly.

First band we saw was Noah And The Whale. We left after 15 minutes. It sounded like the lead singer was losing his voice. So instead we went to go see We Are Scientists, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was never a huge fan of them before now. But they put on a good show.

Watched a little of The Airborne Toxic Event, who I had seen before. They put on a good show. But I had to leave early to go see The Hold Steady.


The Hold Steady were amazing. They are such a good, fun band to see live. They were one of the highlights of the weekend for me. I'm serious. Go see them perform if they are in your town. Then off to The Sahara for The Ting Tings. They were a lot of fun live. As you can imagine, the tent was packed for their show. Watched a bit of Franz Ferdinand from afar while eating dinner. We left early because we wanted to get close for Leonard Cohen.


Leonard Cohen still puts on a great show. The man is a living legend. Seeing him perform live, at sunset, under the desert sky was just a magical experience. If you saw anyone else at that time, you choose poorly. This was the number one performance of the weekend for me. The crowd sing along for Hallelujah was really amazing.

Watched a little Beirut, then headed off to the Sahara again for The Presets. They were a lot of fun and I danced like crazy. I was so exhausted after their set, I was ready to head home. We stopped and lay on the grass for a bit for Paul McCartney. I just wanted to be able to say that I saw him perform. If we weren't so exhausted, we would have stayed for more. But we just wanted to get back to the house and get some sleep.

No comments: