Thursday, December 24, 2009

Movies Are Not Like Potato Chips

I guess you could call this my Christmas post. One of the things that really bugs me right now in the film industry is the prevalent notion that selling movies is like selling potato chips. It's just another product being sold to consumers. I think this line of thinking comes from the whole MBA mentality that if you can sell one thing, you can sell anything. And I think it's that mentality that has severely wounded the DVD market in this country.

Let me ask you this, when is the last time you fell in love while eating a bag of potato chips? Or driven three hours to see a particular bag of potato chips? How many potato chips have you eaten 10, 20, 30 times? How many times have you eaten a bag of potato chips that was so good you wanted to tell everyone about it? How many times have you gotten together with your whole family to eat potato chips?

So many people in this biz seem to forget the show part of show business. We aren't selling potato chips, we're selling dreams, a little bit of escape. We're selling wonder. The greatest moguls of Hollywood have known this concept. If we could remember this in Hollywood, then maybe people would start buying movies again, instead of watching poorly made, mindless, reality shows on TV.

Well, that's my little rant for the day. Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Festivus, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa or whatever you celebrate at this time of year. I hope you all had a good year and have an even better 2010.

No comments: